Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Heart DIY

This weekend, I decided to do a little DIY for Valentines Day. I am always so tempted to buy more mugs for my house, especially these cute ones, but just can't justify it since I have so many already! I have been seeing a lot of different posts on Pinterest about using Sharpies to decorate the mugs you already have, so I decided to try it and here's how it turned out!


I practiced what I was going to write beforehand, because I don't trust myself with permanent markers. 

 For my boyfriend, Brady. 

 
My mug for my friend Katie, who lives in MD. We have kept in touch over the years by sending boxes back and forth filled with trinkets. I'm adding this mug into our February/Valentines box. 


The finished product. 

 What I learned: 
The darker markers work better, unfortunately. The lighter pinks did not work as well as I had hoped they would, so keep that in mind when designing your mug. They look exactly the same after you bake them as they do when you put them in the oven. I have not had any trouble washing them (I washed them after just to make sure) but I have not been putting them in the dishwasher. Also, the instructions for time and temperature to bake the mugs at I got from A Beautiful Mess.  

I hope I have inspired you to do a little something for your Valentine this weekend!
Personally, I think homemade gifts are the best and this is a simple and inexpensive gift. 
Happy Crafting!

12 comments:

  1. If I did not already own WAY too many mugs, I'd be so into this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww this is adorable!! I definitely want to do something like this for gifts!!

    xo, Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a darling idea! :) thanks for sharing it!
    xo, elle from Living in Color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've been wanting to do the whole sharpe-mug thing, yours turned out SO cute!! definitely some good inspo!

    xo,Taylor
    iLikeMyClothesTaylored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww so cute. I love these personalized kind of things!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest Valentines Day DIY I have ever seen!
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com
    www.daisyraeboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUch a cute DIY! Definitely need to try it out!!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, those DIY mugs are such a cute and great idea!! Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea!

    Shannon
    bigdreamsandexpensivetaste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like I need to clean the oven!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)